About Discovering Buddhism
Discovering Buddhism is an FPMT foundational education program set out in fourteen modules. It can be studied at many FPMT centers and can also be done online. This program provides a solid footing in the understanding and practice of Mahayana Buddhism as taught in the Tibetan tradition of Lama Tsongkhapa. Participants gain a taste of the Buddha’s teachings, hands-on experience with meditation and short retreats, and skills to make their lives meaningful. This program is specifically intended to radically transform one’s life, rather than as a mere academic study of Buddhism.
The fourteen modules cover the following topics:
About the Discovering Buddhism Package for Centers and Study Groups
The package includes materials for centers and study groups to run the program, extensive support materials for teachers, and readings for students. These materials are found in three folders:
1. Center Material2. Teacher Material3. Student Material
1. “Center Material” Folder
The materials and resources for the center include:
• Guidelines for Centers and Study Groups• Module Summaries• Brochure template• Completion cards for students• Evaluation forms for students and teachers• Sample poster• Web page template
2. “Teacher Material” Folder
The materials available to support DB teachers include:
• Module Summaries: a list of required teaching topics, required and suggested readings, and required and suggested integration practices (meditations and short retreat)• sample courses by senior FPMT teachers• sample guided meditations• a transcript of the teachings and meditations by the DB online teacher (these are an excellent resource for both new teachers and teachers new to DB as they can be used to help teachers prepare their classes)• sample structure and/or schedule for the short retreat• sample assessment questions and an answer key• sample topics for a final exam
3. “Student Material” Folder
For each module, the materials and resources for students include:
1. An introductory document2. A “Module Completion” document that lists the required and suggested readings and integration practices (meditations, short retreat, etc.) that need to be done to complete all the elements of a module and qualify for a Completion Certificate3. A “DB Reading Package” consisting of:• Discovering Buddhism Required Reading—transcripts of teachings given by Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Lama Thubten Yeshe, and other teachers• Wish-Fulfilling Golden Sun by Lama Zopa Rinpoche• required and suggested books available for free download4. A “Reading List” of required and suggested integration practices, readings, and videos
Note: After purchasing this product, you will receive an email with a link to download these materials.